Personal Training, Nordic Walking, and Snow Shoeing


Thursday

Strength Training


Today I started with my strength training program. Strength training can reverse many of the problems associated with aging. Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge explain this extremely well in their book, Younger Next Year. When I retired, a friend gave me that book and I found it to be very informative. It basically describes how you can turn back your biological clock-  even into your 80’s.


After numerous upper and lower body exercises, which also included my core muscles, my husband and I drove to the Niagara Escarpment to go for a snow shoe for our aerobic workout.


Aerobic exercise is mainly about our muscles’ ability to endure, while strength training is primarily about our muscles’ ability to deliver power. Ideally we strength train 3-4 times a week and try to get in a good aerobic workout 4-5 times every week.

Our town does not have any “hills”.  So we love to hike and snow shoe in and around the Bruce Trail which provides the extra benefit of hill climbing in a beautiful environment.

Again, the weather was almost perfect for our hour and a quarter hike, minus 6 degrees celsius (about 20 degrees F) and sunny with little or no wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment